The Garden of Forlorn Hope
YUTAN (Race Name) – YUTAANI (plural unspecific ); YUUTA (singular unspecific)
The Yutani are a curious race of small nomadic humanoids who say they can trace their ancestry to Faen of water as much as Elves identified with Faen of Wood. Their culture describes a great love affair with the sea, sailing, beach combing, and coastal exploration. They have an innate nomadic wanderlust and an avid interest in traveling and cartography. Most Yutani claim to be born on a ship at sea, (or, very near to shore), and will remain on the ocean or near a coast to the end of their days. They tend to travel fast and light and never miss a chance for either profit or adventure. Only traveling inland to a specific purpose or by official requirement.
It is this love for seafaring travel which defines their acceptance in the subculture present at all ports, as they can be found in most coastal areas of the Known World. Even the basis of their most profound spiritual belief revolves around a triangular love affair between two protogenoi pursuing the favor of a third – each succeeding equally but contending forever.
A physical expression of their faith’s dogma associated with these stories can be most obviously seen by through ritual scarification and skin bleaching – which mark their bodies with raised white dots in ornate spirals and geometric patterns. Brash and bold, Yutani live in small, interdependent tribes who regard each new interaction with the potential of celebrating life. Death will arrive eventually but the knowledge of WHEN is fully obscured, so until that fateful day – life should be spent LIVING in a worthwhile fashion.
Yutaani are proportionately similar to human adults but are only ‘half as tall’ hence the moniker of ‘halflings’. A term which they don’t always respond well to, it should be noted. Although a Yuuta may be about the same size as an average 6-8-year-old human child (110 cms) they really cannot be readily confused as such. At least, not without a significant change in dress, makeup, body shape and attitude. No child could be said to have the range of physique a Yutanni will. From sexily curvaceous, to portly, to athletic. [Strictly speaking a human child’s head to body ratio is vastly different from a human adult, (regardless of race). You are more likely to confuse a Dwarf for a teenager than a Halfling for a toddler. Without a feat. The native range of coloration for a Yuuta is the same as any human. The hairstyles worn most are closely tied to Yutani ideas of status, the majority of both sexes wear hair off the neck. [[File:484038 | class=media-item-align-right | 320×502px | halflinggrrl.jpg]]
Most Yutani pays more than passing lip service to their loose governing body (the first twelve) establishes cultural mores and trade philosophies rather than attempting to literally govern any one community. Forming small, tightly knit tribes, each yutani lives a communal existence, sharing what they have with their friends and families. Their culture seems free-spirited to most outsiders, but there is an underlying respect for a role in the largely matriarchal communities. However, certain roles within the community are exclusive to a specific gender despite any apparent social playfulness.
Marriages are typically limited to a 7 years term which may be renewed by mutual consent. It is possible for any party to ‘opt’ out of a marriage – as long as an obligation amount is provided to the one not leaving. The obligation amount is accessed by a Wavedancer. Any children produced by these unions are the responsibility of the entire clan.
Not unlike their spiritual beliefs, their own domestic relations can be quite complex and may not conform to the human expectations of one wife and one husband. Although it would be unique to have a union of more than three adults in a marriage; and scandalous for there to be less than two wives in any union greater than three participants.
Community Roles: – Cargomaster, Windfinder, Sailtender, Deckmistress, Bladeracer,
Alignment and Religion: Yutani culture guides its members toward neutrality and seek the balance found in how water acclimates with its surroundings. Although they can be of any alignment.
Clans: (Icon) – Catelar (White Sail), Shodein (Furled Pennant), Somerin (Calm Water), Dacan (Sharktooth), Rossiane (Anchor) , Tekanna (ShipsWake), Jubai (Bridge), Selanne (Cargo Net), Zaidda (Belaying Pin), Gelyn (Cargo hook), Shalon (Graven Bell), Toagra (Cutlass)
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Yutoni are nimble and strong-willed, but their small stature makes them weaker than other races. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and –2 Strength.
- Size: Yutoni are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Slow Speed: Yutoni have a base speed of 20 feet.
- Languages: Like all races Yuuta speak the Native tongue at FL5, a regional language at FL3 but they do not acquire the initial language discount – although this is usually picked up in their first Language selection. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about any of these languages.
- Salt of the Earth: Sailing is a common folk profession, thus Yutani are inclusively protected by most common sailors in an “us versus them” behavioral pattern. Yutani can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among any fishing community unless they believe the Yuuta to be an untenable danger to the community. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you as much as they can, though they will not risk their lives for you. The DO expect the behavior to be returned and the trait will negate itself if the single Yuuta has proven herself to be untrustworthy or inaccessible.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Sure-Footed: Yutaani receives a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Climb checks.
- Nimble Faller : Yutoni land on their feet even when they take lethal damage from a fall (suffering one damage die less from any acquired falling damage).
- Otterkin: Yutoni can move through water at its swim speed without making skill checks. Although they do not receive the +8 racial bonus on any Swim check as most true water based creatures do. They may choose to take 10 on a Swim check, if distracted or endangered; and can use the run action so long as they swim in a straight line.
- Native Weapon: Yutoni are proficient with slings, sling staff, star-knives, cutlass, and swordbreakers.
- Keen Senses: Yutoni receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Fleet of Foot Move at normal speed and have a base speed of 30 feet. This racial trait replaces slow speed and sure-footed.
- Ingratiating Gain a +2 bonus on skill checks for a single Perform skill of their choice, and Perform is always a class skill for them. They also gain a +2 bonus on Craft and Profession checks. This racial trait replaces keen senses and sure-footed.
- Low Blow Gain a +1 bonus on critical confirmation rolls against opponents larger than themselves. This racial trait replaces keen senses.
- Shiftless Gain a +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Sleight of Hand checks, and Sleight of Hand is always a class skill for them. This racial trait replaces sure-footed.
- Swift as Shadows Reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5, and reduce the Stealth check penalty for sniping by 10. This racial trait replaces sure-footed.
- Underfoot Gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC against foes larger than themselves and a +1 bonus on Reflex saving throws to avoid trample attacks. This racial trait replaces Salt of the Earth.
- Wanderlust Receive a +2 bonus on Knowledge (geography) and Survival checks. When casting spells or using abilities that provide or enhance movement, treat caster level as +1 higher than normal. This racial trait replaces Otterkin and Salt of the Earth
- Warslinger Reload a sling (or sling staff) as a free action. Reloading a sling still requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity. This racial trait replaces sure-footed.
- Avenging Members of this subtype do not require a significant reason to travel inland other than to avenge slights and wrongdoings to the Yutaani culture. Most avenging yutani are recruited into The Testament. Whether resisting a local bully, monster, or troops of an oppressive ruler, Yuuta warriors of this subculture don masks and strike back on behalf of their community. These Yutoni have the low blow, underfoot, and warslinger alternate racial traits.
- House-bred Singularly odd, and to an absurd degree, these Yutani are social pariah’s to the majority of their race, hailing from lineages that have spent countless generations inland, subservient to Central Empire Nobility and away from the core of their society. They do not follow the final oath of A’Vahra nor ‘heathen tradition of the Sea Titans’ – being firmly worshipers of the Church Triumphant. By the standards of their race, they are this subtype is barely Yutani at all. Free to adventure away from the noble house, of which they will forever be vassals of, and as the will to spend their time – these Yutoni have a fear of wide open flat spaces and will never choose to spend time at sea.
Thus they lose the Salt of the Earth, Native weapon, and Otterkin race traits, and may not take the Shiftless alternate attribute either. In trade, the house-bred Yuuta have had sufficient time and cultural vacancy to pursue an early education – allowing them to take a single adept or aristocrat NPC class level (as a “zero level”), before becoming an adult (PC class). [Including additional all HPs, Saves, Skill points, and Weapon attribute or Spells granted to that class.]
[[File:484040 | class=media-item-align-left | 300×450px | Yutani_Ranger.jpg]]Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Bard Add +1/2 on Bluff checks to pass secret messages, +1/2 on Diplomacy checks to gather information.
- Druid Add a +1/4 luck bonus on the saving throws of the druid’s animal companion.
- Any Martial Striker Class Add +1 to the Fighter’s CMD when resisting a trip or grapple attempt.
- Inquisitor Add +1/4 to the number of times per day that an inquisitor can change her most recent teamwork feat.
- Monk Add +1 to the monk’s CMD when resisting a grapple and +1/2 to the number of stunning attacks he can attempt per day.
- Witch Add +1/4 to the witch’s caster level when determining the effects of the spells granted to her by her patron.
The following feats are available to a Yutoni character who meets any additional non-race prerequisites. Cautious Fighter, Courageous Resolve, Desperate Swing, Improved Low Blow, Risky Striker, Sure and Fleet, Surprise Strike, Uncanny Defense, Well-Prepared